Commitment + Clinical Leadership = Better Outcomes
5 Health Benefits of Tart Cherry Juice
Tart cherry juice has recently become a popular drink due to its health benefits. Tart cherry juice is made with Montmorency cherries, also known as sour cherries. These cherries are typically consumed in juice, frozen, or dried form in comparison to sweet cherries, which are usually enjoyed fresh.1
Tart cherry juice is loaded with antioxidants and nutrients that can be beneficial to your health. Here are 5 health benefits of drinking tart cherry juice.
Reduced muscle soreness
One of the health benefits of tart cherry juice is reduced muscle soreness. If you’re frequently active or play sports, reducing muscle soreness can help you feel better when recovering from a tough workout or injury.
One study included long distance runners who drank 24 ounces of tart cherry juice in the seven days leading up to a race and on the day of. These runners experienced less pain during and after the race compared to those who did not drink the cherry juice.2
Another one of the benefits of tart cherry juice is it can help you sleep better at night. Tart cherries contain melatonin, which is a hormone that regulates your sleep-wake cycle.4
Tart cherries also contain an amino acid called tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin. This neurotransmitter can help regulate sleep, and your body can eventually convert it to melatonin. The magnesium in tart cherries also contributes to getting better sleep at night because it helps regulate melatonin production.5, 6
A study found that when 20 volunteers consumed tart cherry juice for seven days, they had higher melatonin levels, as well as an increase in sleep time and sleep efficiency.7 If you struggle with insomnia or getting a good night’s rest, try drinking tart cherry juice shortly before bed.
Inflammation in the body can lead to numerous health concerns including cancer, cardiovascular disease, and Alzheimer’s.
Tart cherry juice contains anthocyanins, which are anti-inflammatory compounds that can help combat chronic diseases. These compounds naturally mediate the inflammatory process, making tart cherry juice comparable to over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen.8
The anti-inflammatory properties can benefit those with arthritis as well. Studies have shown that tart cherries help reduce pain and stiffness associated with arthritis.
One of the benefits of drinking tart cherry juice is that it can boost your immunity. Tart cherry juice contains antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that benefit the immune system.
Researchers believe that the high antioxidant content in tart cherries can help prevent infection. The anthocyanins in tart cherry juice also have antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that help your body fight infections.9
If you’re looking for a tasty drink that can boost your immune system, try tart cherry juice.
Lower Blood Pressure
If you have high blood pressure, also known as hypertension, or looking for a way to naturally lower your blood pressure, tart cherry juice might be a good option for you.
Drinking tart cherry juice can reduce the C-reactive protein (CRP) levels in your blood, which reduces your risk of high blood pressure. Doctors test the CRP levels in patients to determine if there’s a risk of cardiovascular disease or high blood pressure.
Ways to Drink Tart Cherry Juice
Although tart cherry juice can be consumed on its own, there are many different recipes you can try.
- Mix tart cherry juice with still water to dilute it
- Mix tart cherry juice with sparkling water
- Add freshly squeezed lime juice to your tart cherry juice
- Make homemade popsicles with tart cherry juice
- Use tart cherry juice in your smoothie recipe
- Add tart cherry juice to your iced tea
- Add tart cherry juice and honey to warm tea
About Saber Healthcare Group
Saber Healthcare is an organization that provides services to more than 115 buildings across the states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Indiana, Delaware, and Florida. To learn more about our company and services, click here.
Saber Healthcare is an organization dedicated to providing consultant services to long-term care providers. This article is for informational purposes and is not meant to be seen as professional advice. Please consult with a medical expert before relying on the information provided.
- Zelman, Kathleen. “Tart Cherry Juice: Is It Good for You?” WebMD LLC, Nourish by WebMD. November 16th, 2022. Accessed May 23rd, 2023. https://www.webmd.com/diet/tart-cherry-juice-good-for-you.
- “Efficacy of tart cherry juice in reducing muscle pain during running: a randomized controlled trial.” National Library of Medicine, PubMed. Accessed May 23rd, 2023. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20459662/.
- “Influence of tart cherry juice on indices of recovery following marathon running.” National Library of Medicine, PubMed. Accessed May 23rd, 2023. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19883392/.
- Richter, Amy. “10 Health Benefits of Tart Cherry Juice.” Healthline Media, healthline.com. January 3rd, 2023. Accessed May 23rd, 2023. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-tart-cherry-juice-benefits.
- Shafer, Jessie. “4 Tart Cherry Juice Benefits That Will Have You Drinking It Daily.” Dotdash Meredith, Better Homes & Gardens. April 7th, 2023. Accessed May 24th, 2023. https://www.bhg.com/recipes/healthy/eating/tart-cherry-juice-benefits/.
- “Magnesium: What Is It and Why Do You Need It?” Saber Healthcare Group, saberhealth.com. February 28th, 2022. Accessed May 26th, 2023. https://www.saberhealth.com/news/blog/magnesium-health-benefits.
- “Effect of tart cherry juice (Prunus cerasus) on melatonin levels and enhanced sleep quality.” National Library of Medicine, PubMed. Accessed May 24th, 2023. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22038497/.
- Downey, Michael. “Anti-Inflammatory Properties of Tart Cherry.” Life Extension, lifeextension.com. Accessed May 24th, 2023. https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2013/6/anti-inflammatory-properties-of-tart-cherry.
- Singer, Emma. “8 Health Benefits of Tart Cherry Juice.” Wow Media Products, purewow.com. August 4th, 2021. Accessed May 24th, 2023. https://www.purewow.com/wellness/benefits-of-tart-cherry-juice.
- “Effects of Montmorency tart cherry (Prunus Cerasus L.) consumption on vascular function in men with early hypertension.” National Library of Medicine, PubMed. Accessed May 24th, 2023. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27146650/.